Photo by Scott Houghtaling –

San Francisco lost to the Seattle Rainmakers 20-17 in their first away game of the season at Rainier Beach Stadium in Seattle, Washington.

Seattle went up steadily in the first quarter and gained a five-point lead that the Dogfish just as steadily closed to within one point by the end of the second quarter. After a brief tie at the beginning of the third, the Rainmakers again began a steady climb that left them ahead by four going into the fourth. San Francisco continued to chip away at Seattle’s lead in the final quarter, but never came closer than two points before the Rainmakers closed it out at 20-17.

After a rough first quarter, Evan Boucher turned things around with a game-high four assists and four goals. Gabe Saunkeah was also a strong presence on San Francisco’s offense with three assists and two goals, and Mike McGuirk kept things steady in the backfield with a 96 percent completion rate. On defense, David Abram and James Yeager got two blocks each in a game with a lot of quick disc movement and scoring.

Danny Trytiak shone bright for the Rainmakers with four assists, followed closely by Gavin McKibben and rookie Jeff Pape, with three assists each. Mark Burton had one assist and four goals, and rookie Brad Houser had a strong showing with three goals and two defensive blocks.

In the first quarter the points came fast and furious. Unfortunately, after the first few minutes the only points scored in the quarter were by the Rainmakers. Seattle ended the first period with a five-point lead, 6-1.

The Dogfish shook off the malaise of the first to go on a couple of short runs in the second quarter. After two breaks they brought the score within one point. With 43 seconds left in the quarter the Dogfish and Rainmakers each scored, and Seattle held only a 10-9 lead at halftime.

San Francisco came quickly out of the gate after half, scoring within the first 23 seconds and tying the game at 10. The Rainmakers answered with a four-point run. Despite strong Dogfish defense and a layout score, the deficit remained and the Rainmakers closed out the third quarter in the lead, 16-12.

A break at the start of the fourth quarter put the Dogfish within three. Over the next several minutes the teams traded points and the Dogfish were within two points as the quarter entered its final minutes. A big bid by Burton put the Rainmakers up by three, where they remained as both teams scored and San Francisco was unable to close the gap after a timeout in the final 30 seconds. The Rainmakers ended the game with the win, 20-17, leaving both teams with a 1-2 record.

Next weekend the Dogfish take to the road again to play the 3-0 Portland Stags at Hillsboro Stadium. Buy your tickets for this away game here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.